Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Inspirational Author Michelle Massaro Roars into the Diamond Mine!

With the old cars cruising around my area, and maybe yours too, we're ready to welcome in a new set of wheels at the Mine! (Vroom!) Rev your engines and give a hearty wave to Michelle Massaro! She's a Cali girl and an inspirational author. But hey, what am I telling you this? You don't want to hear my lake pipes roar. Make room in the coup for Michelle Massaro!

PT:  Hi, Michelle! Welcome in! So glad you could join us. Let's get to the nuts and bolts right off. Tell us your background and your genre. 

MM:  My writing background was primarily lots and lots of poetry, and songs. I also had a love affair with musical theater in my younger years, which I think greatly overlaps with the process of story creation and getting into the “skin” of a character. I write contemporary fiction—I’m somewhere in the Women’s Fiction/General Contemporary/Romance category. =)

PT:  Well, I think you've got the theme of the interview. But give us your main reason/theme/mantra of your writing.
MM:  I like to write deep. I really want readers to feel a touch from God through the stories I create, in a way that leaves them changed. I want my fictional stories to communicate truth. Ultimately, the truth that such a holy God as ours loves us in the midst of our unholy mess. My tagline is ‘contemporary fiction soaked in grace.’

PT:  Love that tagline! So everyone always wants to know what inspires authors to begin writing. How about you?
MM:  I’ve always been more comfortable expressing myself on paper. I think it’s a side effect of being an “overthinker” because writing allows us to edit ourselves till it’s just right, even if it’s only an email reply. I wrote a lot of poetry in my angsty teens. So I always felt like I had something to say, and that someday I’d take the time to do it. The idea for Grace in the Flames


sprouted years ago, probably about 2005 or 2006. Back then the idea of writing a novel was still a lofty dream. I made half-hearted attempts to develop the concept—at one point it was going to be a historical set somewhere in Europe—but I never got very far, and I never told anyone. It was in 2007 I believe, when I was inspired by Stephanie Myers’ story of writing her books during her kids’ swimming lessons that I sat down at my screen determined to get an entire story written.

PT:  So it's still summer, vacation season. We're all still California dreaming of exotic places to visit. Tell us of any states/countries you’ve visited or lived in.
MM:  I’m not a world traveler by any means but I did have the opportunity to visit Rome in 2008 and it was absolutely amazing. I’m eagerly awaiting my Trevi Fountain coin to bring me back again. Stateside, in addition to Southern California where I’ve spent most of my life, I’ve also lived in Texas, Colorado, and Northern California.

PT:  Back to your books. Are there any characters in your novels that resembles you most in personality?
MM:  Probably Megan from Better than Fiction. She’s sensitive and lacks self-confidence, not a huge risk taker, but she has a bit of a sarcastic sense of humor that peeks out now and then.

PT:  Bam, my fav. Tell us 5 things quick about Michelle Massaro that have nothing to do with writing. (drum roll, please)
MM:  1) I once solved a Rubik’s Cube in under 2 minutes
           2) My husband and I won our church’s karaoke contest on Valentine’s Day
           3) I celebrate “Ber Day” (Sept. 1st) with my daughters each year by decorating for Fall and watching The Sound of Music
           4) I once met Mr. Roper (Norman Fell) at the airport
           5) I have way more guppies than I know what to do with. Seriously…if you want some, let me know.

PT: Ooooh. Guppies. Got my classroom full of them already! LOL Now, tell us about your latest release.
MM:  Better than Fiction released in April. It’s a ton of fun! I co-wrote the novel with my dear



friend April Gardner and it’s half contemporary, half historical. It follows a modern-day author who has a struggling marriage. As she strives to regain her husband’s attention, she also pours her romantic longings onto the page. And that leads to an unexpected emotional affair when she inserts a man from church into her story. On the historical side, she writes about the 1916 Corona Road Race and a romance between a female mechanic and a hotshot racer. Corona is my hometown and it was a great deal of fun digging up historical tidbits and treasures to incorporate into the novel.

PT:  Nice twist. Sounds like an interesting plot. Well, the fans here at the Diamond Mine all want to know. Which direction are you heading in your writing? What can we expect?
MM:  I’m working on a novella centering around Tori and Derek, who readers will remember from Grace in the Flames. These two are a blast! They get on each other’s nerves and fight like an old married couple, but everyone can see that there’s something between them. No release date yet, but I’m working as fast as I can! =)

PT:  Thanks for joining us, Michelle! 

MM:  Thanks, Peggy!

PT:  (getting in the Beach Boy theme) Now I'm not bragging, so don't put me down. But we've got the greatest giveaway around! Tell them, Michelle.

MM: Today I’ll be giving away a copy of Grace in the Flames

Boom, Wha????

That's right readers, you read that right. But you know the drill. At least five commenters (no such word) to qualify as a legal smeagle (also not a word) drawing. Leave your email, 'cause, well, I'm not a mind reader. LOL Thanks for shifting into cruising speed and leaning back in the leather seats with us. We appreciate our faithful readers! Wanna know more about Michelle? (Of course you do!) Then check it out below!

Bio

MICHELLE MASSARO writes contemporary fiction soaked in grace. She makes her home in Southern California with her husband of over two decades and their four children. She’s dabbled in homeschooling, teaching Creation Science, and leading worship. When she isn’t tinkering with words, Michelle enjoys old Rogers and Hammerstein movies, making kefir, and Sudoku. A new lipstick and a good French roast always make her happy.

Links

NEWSLETTER:  eepurl.com/bPQL0T  
Twitter: @MLMassaro
Instagram:  @MichelleMassaroBooks
Amazon purchase links:







2 comments:

Michelle Massaro said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today, Peggy! It's been an honor. :D

Peggy Trotter said...

You are so welcome, Michelle! We loved having you on the Mine!